Members of the Saskatoon Police Service Fraud Section, together with the RCMP, will be offering information to the public at two Saskatoon shopping malls as part of Fraud Prevention Month.
Each year hundreds of people fall victim to fraud in Saskatchewan. Nationwide that number is more than a million. However, there are ways for consumers and businesses to protect themselves.
1. Never send money to someone claiming you have won a prize.
2. Avoid revealing personal information such as birth date, social insurance number, etc.
3. Pay attention to your billing cycles and follow up with creditors if your bills don't arrive on time.
4. Guard your mail. Promptly remove mail from your mailbox after delivery.
5. Use hard-to-identify passwords for credit card and banking information.
6. Minimize the identification and number of cards you carry.
Fraud Investigators will be answering questions from the public today at Lawson Heights Mall and on Wednesday, March 12th at Market Mall.