Saskatoon Police would like to remind the public to make safety a priority this Halloween, as streets will be filled with excited children going door-to-door. Here are some tips to keep everyone safe on this busy night:
- Ensure younger children are accompanied by an adult when trick-or-treating.
- Older children should trick-or-treat in pairs or groups and carry a cell phone if possible.
- Know the route you children will be taking, and when they will be home (routes should be well lit).
- Children should carry flashlights, glow sticks, or wear reflective tape to increase visibility.
- Instruct children not to eat their treats until they have returned home and an adult can examine them. Avoid homemade treats and throw out anything that looks suspicious.
- Do not trick-or-treat alone.
- Wear a costume that is easy to move around in and is easily seen at night.
- Cross streets only at corners and in crosswalks. Obey traffic signals.
- Stay on well-lit streets.
- Never go inside a home or enter a car (unless it is arranged by a parent).
- Wait until you return home to eat treats.
- Drive slowly and cautiously.
- Keep alert for children crossing the street.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!