Are you Ready?
The following are the mandatory and voluntary fitness program requirements for Recruit Training at the Saskatchewan Police College:
- Volunteer to run 150 miles (over 17 weeks)
- Weight Room - 3 times a week
(1 hour sessions)
- POPAT in 4 minutes, 15 seconds (mandatory pass time)
POPAT Demo Video
POPAT Instructional Video
POPAT Course Layout
POPAT location map
Once per month the recruits receive a fitness test which includes:
- Body weight measured
- Push - ups to maximum ability
- Pull - ups to maximum ability
- Abdominal crunches to maximum ability
- Bench press maximum weight at 10 repetitions
- Bench press 1 repetition maximum
- 3.5 mile timed run (in 30 minutes or less @ end of Recruit Class)
Three times per week for half hour durations, the recruits participate in a fitness class which focuses on both cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength. More specifically, these classes include running drills, sprints, push-ups, core strength exercises and lower body strength work.
Fitness Program Preparation Recommendations
It is recommended to have a substantial running base for at least 6 months prior to college. This will help to alleviate any overuse running injuries that surface when a recruit begins a running program without prior conditioning. A reasonable training distance is 5 to 8 km in a continuous run, lasting between 30 and 45 minutes. To gain speed, strength and endurance, a recruit should incorporate some interval running, hill running and speed work into his or her program. This will help to create the strong base needed for the 3.5 mile timed run and the endurance needed for the class.
- Muscular Strength and Endurance
Two approaches to train for:
- Functional Strength Training - This type of training includes core strength, push-ups, squats, lunges, and plyometric training.
- Weight Training - Recruits should follow an appropriate weight-training program that works all major upper body and lower body muscle groups. The program should be something that can be continued during the 20 weeks of college.