Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I...

How do I report...

How do I protect...

  • Report an emergency

    Call 911 for police, fire or medical emergencies when immediate action is required: a life or property is in danger, a crime is in progress, or you have a medical emergency.

    If you are unsure how serious an incident is, dial 911 and the call-taker will advise whether or not it is an emergency. If it is not an emergency, they will ask you to call back to the non-emergency line.

    When calling 911, stay calm. You will be connected to a call-taker at a public safety answering point. When your call is answered, the call-taker will automatically see a display of your phone number and address or land location (cell phones do not provide name, number or location). To ensure the proper response to the emergency, you will be asked:

    • the nature of your emergency. The call-taker will determine what agency you require; police, fire or paramedics.
    • to verify the address or land location you are calling from
    • to verify the telephone number you are calling from

    The 911 call-taker will stay on the line and connect you to the appropriate dispatch agency for fire, police or ambulance. Do not hang up and follow instructions.

    Call-takers are trained to ask specific questions. Please answer the questions to the best of your ability. While call-takers are asking you questions, the information is being relayed via computer to dispatchers while emergency personnel are on their way to help you. By providing clear information about the nature of the emergency, you will help ensure a fast and efficient response.

    On rare occasions, you may get a recorded message when dialing 911. DO NOT HANG UP. Your call will be answered as soon as a call-taker is available. All 911 calls are recorded.

    The Saskatoon Police Service Communications Section is the PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) for the central portion of the province. Other PSAP’s in the province are Regina and Prince Albert.

    If you call 9-1-1 accidentally, stay on the line and tell the call-taker it was an accident. If you hang up, we don’t know if you are okay and we will have to call back or send police to check on you.

    • Don’t program 911 into your telephone.
    • Keep your cell phone in a safe place to prevent accidental calls.
    • Never dial 911 as a joke.
    • Do not call 911 for general inquiries.
    • Always keep cordless phones fully charged.
    • Teach children how to use 911; It is not a toy.

    Deaf and hearing/speech impaired callers can dial 911 through TTY (telephone typewriter) units. Callers who do not have TTY should dial 911 from a landline telephone. Do not hang up.

    Payphones provide free access to the 911 system.

  • Report a non-emergency

    Call 306-975-8300

    306-975-8300 is to be used for all non-emergency situations, where an immediate response or dispatch of the police is not required. This can include circumstances that you feel are suspicious or crimes where the offender has left.

    The use of the non-emergency reporting line helps to keep the 911 lines available for people reporting emergencies.

  • Report a missing person

    Call 306-975-8300

    Further information about the Missing Person Unit can be found here.

  • Report a drug house

    Please phone Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 and explain what you've seen at a particular address. You can also call the non-emergency number 306-975-8300 to speak with an officer. There is no need to identify yourself if you so choose.

  • Report a stolen bike

    Reports for theft of bike without a suspect can, and are recommended to be done online.

    Once your serial number has been entered into our computer system, if your bike is located, you will be contacted.

    If you have already reported the theft/loss, you can contact Lost & Found at 306-975-8213.

    All lost articles turned into the City of Saskatoon or SPS are retained at:

    SPS Lost & Found
    76 25th Street East

    Open to the public Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 4:00pm (closed 12:00pm – 1:00pm)

  • Report a used needle that I have found

    Report to the Needle Pickup Line 306-975-3030.

  • Report a vehicle collision

    If you are involved in a motor vehicle collision that meets all these conditions:

    • no one is physically injured
    • all involved vehicles can still be safely driven
    • all of the vehicles are registered in Saskatchewan
    • there is no indication anyone was engaged in criminal driving activities (ex: impaired driving, hit & run)

    Move the damaged vehicles off the roadway to avoid impeding traffic. Exchange information at the side of the road. Information required from the individuals involved includes:

    • driver's licence number
    • vehicle licence plate number
    • current time, date, and location

    Report the incident directly to Saskatchewan Government Insurance without notifying Police. SGI can receive the information via the Dial-a-Claim service at 306-683-2100, or on their website at

    If any of the above conditions are not met (someone is injured, at least one vehicle is not drivable, at least one vehicle is from outside Saskatchewan, or you suspect criminal activity), you must call the Saskatoon Police Service at 306-975-8300 to have an officer attend.

    Please consider your safety, and the public's safety, when waiting for an officer to arrive. If you can safely move your vehicle off the roadway to avoid impeding traffic, please do so.

    Anytime you are involved in a collision with another vehicle, person or private property, you are legally obligated to provide your contact information, including driver's licence number and vehicle licence plate number, to others involved. Failure to do so is an offence and you may be charged.

    Hit & Run Collisions

    If you or your property are struck by a vehicle and that vehicle or its operator leaves the scene without providing the necessary information, you must report the matter to the Saskatoon Police Service before SGI can process your claim. Reports can be made at the Service Center of SPS Headquarters located at 76 25th Street East daily from 8:00am – 5:00pm.

    Anytime you are involved in a collision where someone is hurt, the offending vehicle flees the scene, or you suspect another driver may be impaired or engaged in other criminal activity, dial 911 and report the matter immediately. Whenever possible, provide a description of the vehicle (including make, model, style of vehicle, color, distinguishing characteristics, licence plate number), as well as the location and last known direction of travel, and a description of the occupant(s), if possible. Your assistance in providing as much information is greatly appreciated and may assist the investigation.

  • Report an impaired driver

    Call 9-1-1

    Additional information about the RID (Report Impaired Drivers) program can be found here.

  • Report child pornography on-line

    If you know about a child who is in immediate danger or risk, call 911.

    Sexual exploitation of children can be reported on-line at

  • Report graffiti

    Reporting Graffiti (after the fact):

    Reporting Graffiti in progress:

    • Call 9-1-1
    • Stay on the line with the call-taker and keep the suspects in sight without putting yourself in danger.
    • Attempt to get a physical description as well as clothing description of the suspect(s).

    Indicate the graffiti tools the suspects are using (marker, spray paint, etc.)

  • Report that someone has parked in my private parking space

    Police do not have the authority to tow vehicles from private property however, tickets for private parking can be issued by the City of Saskatoon.

    Call the Parking Enforcement line at 306-975-8344.

    Questions about an issued parking ticket(s)? Call City Hall at 306-975-2400.

  • Report threatening or harassing phone calls

    Click here for information on these types of calls and how to report them.

    If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

  • Protect my children from internet risks

    Tips and information about Internet Safety can be found here: Internet Safety

  • Protect my home

    Information on Home Security can be found here: Home Security

  • Protect my business

    Lighting: Proper lighting of the entryway, businesses and compounds are a significant deterrent to potential criminals. Adequate lighting at night makes opportunistic thieves uncomfortable and makes it easier for people to spot them. Having the interior of a compound lit, in addition to the perimeter, is equally beneficial.

    Locks: Ensure proper locks on all your property. Areas that require additional security should have deadbolts and other measures taken. The greater the value, the more secure the property should be left. Ensure employees are securing valuables, whether it be equipment or cash. Trailers should be locked at the hitch when possible to prevent them from being towed away.

    Alarms: Alarms are a significant deterrent. Monitored alarms are best but an audible alarm is a significant deterrent in theft prevention.

    Serial numbers: All tools, vehicles, trailers and items of value should have their serial numbers recorded. If you don’t yet have a system, start one today. Photographs of serial numbers are a start until a paper system can be created. If you have recreational vehicles, record the serial numbers of items inside such as electronics. Police often recover stolen property and can return it sooner, as well as successfully prosecute, if you have recorded a serial number.

    Security Cameras: Just like alarms, security cameras can be a significant deterrent. To be effective, they must be positioned correctly and have adequate lighting in the evening. The chances of catching someone increases exponentially when a well-lit image is obtained as opposed to a blurry, dark photo taken at a distance.

    Signage: Put up visible, large signs indicating cameras and alarms are present.

    Remove valuables: If you cannot remove valuables from vehicles, secure them in the trunk. Never leave keys or garage door openers in vehicles.

    Report: Police cannot be everywhere at once. Report all thefts, break and enters and suspicious activities. You know your area and your neighbors better than anyone. If something is out of the ordinary, let the Police know.

    Preventing and Reporting Crime - Business Guide

  • Protect my vehicle

    Information on vehicle theft prevention can be found at

  • Protect myself from fraud

    Information and tips on how to protect yourself from fraud can be found on the Economic Crime Section page and at the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

  • Apply for a Firearms License

    Call the RCMP Firearms Office 1-800-731-4000 or 306-975-4487 or visit

  • Apply for Special Duty Policing

    Information on how to obtain Special Duty Policing for events can be found here

  • Determine the outcome of a court case

    Phone the court clerk at the Provincial Court House at 306-933-7052.

  • Find the answer regarding a Tenant/Landlord inquiry

    Contact the Office of Residential Tenancies at 306-933-5680

  • Have a Criminal Record Check completed

    Information on how to have a Criminal Record Check completed can be found here.

  • Pay my fine online

    Summary Offence Tickets issued in the Province of Saskatchewan can be paid on the Saskatchewan Justice website.

  • Prevent false alarms

    Information for false alarm prevention can be found via the False Alarm Reduction Association at

  • Receive assistance regarding a spouse/common law separation  property dispute

    Contact a lawyer. Police will assist with the retrieval of personal property only; clothing, personal hygiene items, medications, etc.

  • Request a Police Report

    Call the Criminal Occurrence Security Check Office at 306-975-8305 between 8:00am - 4:00pm. If you are calling after hours, please leave a message and your call will be returned.

  • Retrieve a vehicle from the City Impound Lot

    Information regarding retrieving a vehicle from the city impound lot can be found on the City of Saskatoon website

  • File a complaint against the Saskatoon Police Service or a particular police officer

    See the SPS Professional Standards page for information.

  • Give a compliment to the Saskatoon Police Service or a particular police officer

    Your feedback is critical and we encourage you to let us know when you want to recognize the officers that serve and protect you.

    Please send an email outlining the date, time, and circumstances leading to your compliment to '' or mail a letter containing the information to:

    Chief Cameron McBride
    Saskatoon Police Service
    Box 1728
    Saskatoon, SK  S7K 3R6
  • Join the Security Camera Registry

    The Security Camera Registry is a completely voluntary program where community members (individuals or businesses) can register their security camera(s) with the SPS. If you register your camera(s) with the Security Camera Registry, you may be contacted by the SPS to request footage you may have available, if a crime is being investigated in your area. It is up to you if you provide any footage to the SPS and you are under no obligation to do so.

    Help us keep your neighbourhood safe by registering your camera(s) here.